Church Square is one of the three earliest areas of property in Cape Town’s development. It’s likely that its boundary was first defined in 1679. The Slave Lodge was built on its southern side. The predecessor of the Groote Kerk was erected on its southern side. Its eastern boundary was defined by a spinning factory. People were sold as slaves at market under a tree on this square. It was declared a National Monument on 17 February 1961.

GPS coordinates: 33.9246° S, 18.4208° E (These are for the Groote Kerk. Chuch Square is behind it.)