Greenmarket Square was built in 1696 when a burgher watch house was erected. It is the second oldest historical square in Cape Town after the Grand Parade. The burgher watch was established to police the town at night. It was also a site for the sale of fruit and vegetables from the Company’s garden and housed the well which was the town’s main water supply. In some circles it is known to be a site for execution but the dominant historical perspective does not acknowledge this. The Slave Code was also read here.

GPS coordinates 33.9221° S, 18.4194° E